VEGGIE TASTY: Caribbean Fried Bananas with Caramelized Coconut Sauce

/ 5 comments
I should probably warn you before we start that this looks a bit gross! Dark brown sauce and yellow chunks of banana...I'll leave it to your imagination (what a lovely way to start a food post, eh?)
Anyway, instead of going for the easy option and buying something ready made to satisfy my sweet tooth, I made Caribbean fried bananas with caramelized coconut sauce! Weirdly, this was my first time cooking with coconut milk and I found it strangely exciting. I've no idea why, since it's a basic ingredient for many things - but heck, I am easily pleased!

 Lightly fry your banana in a mix of butter and golden syrup, slosh in some orange juice, sprinkle in some sultanas and simmer for about 30 seconds. Easy peasy. The orange juice was necessary to cut some of the sweetness; I love sultanas cooked in juice - delicious :)


The sauce was just butter, dark brown sugar and coconut milk. Melt them all together, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes WITHOUT the lid. I had to leave the lid on since midgies always fly through the kitchen window, right over the hob - niiice. If you leave the lid off, your sauce will thicken up nicely.

Overall, a rich, slightly zingy, very sweet dish. I'd use much less coconut sauce next time since it's so sugary. I think a light drizzling would be plenty.

I used the recipe for both the sauce and the bananas from 'The Vegetarian Student Cookbook' (find it on Amazon) and neither calls for fancy ingredients. If you want to try it out yourself, grab the book (it's awesome) or try here.

What do you think to fried bananas? Ever tried them?

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm crazy about bananas, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried it but that looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried fried bananas but I love wrapping bananas in foil and putting them on the barbecue. Delicious. Especially if you put chocolate buttons in the banana before wrapping it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never tried fried bananas but this looks delicious! The addition of the caramelized coconut sauce just makes it sound heavenly x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that looks amazing. I'm literally drooling. Seems pretty simple to make as well which is always a bonus x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.